Old November 4th 18, 01:39 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gary Harnagel

Default Neil DeGrasse Tyson headed down same loony road as Carl Sagan?

On Sunday, November 4, 2018 at 1:31:50 AM UTC-7, Paul Schlyter wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Saturday, November 3, 2018 at 10:52:48 AM UTC-6, Paul Schlyter wrote:

Yes, Moses caused the Red Sea to part. And the world was created in
merely six days some 6000 years ago. All according to the Bible, a book
which even you have admitted is corrupt.

Twisting words is a form of dishonesty, Paul. The presence or errors does
not mean corrupt.

The faith to move mountains is based on righteousness, which is necessary
to receive power from God. No righteousness, no power, no mobile
mountains.

How do you know that? From the Bible? You have yourself admitted that the
Bible is corrupt...

Errors do not equal corrupt.

Isn't that the very definition of faith? Trusting someone or something
without the tiniest bit of evidence...

Nope. True faith is believing in what is true.

And how do you know what is true and what is not true?

"Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into
all truth" -- John 16:13

"But the Comforter, [which is] the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send
in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your
remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you." -- John 14:26

Critical analysis aims at believing in what is true. True faith aims at
believing no matter what.

That's your corrupt opinion :-)

There are basic truths in the Bible and there are errors. And people
misunderstand the truths and some cling to the errors. The Old Testament
had prophets to guide the people and Jesus corrected the religious rulers
who were teaching false doctrine. So you bring up a good point: Quis
custodiet ipsos custodes. Who will correct the people today?

And how do **you** know what is true and what is not true in the Bible?

See the above quotations from the Book of John.

By your own judgement? Then you have become an arrogant ******* who
believes that you yourself are God (and what about others, who use their
own judgement and arrive at conclusions contradicting your conclusions -
who is then right?). Or do you use some other source? If so, which
source?

See the above quotations from the Book of John.

And how do you even manage to form your own religious belief?

I believe that everyone that comes into the world has a sense of what's
right and wrong.

Including Adolf Hitler?

When you reject it, you lose it. How are you doing with that?

"My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me"
-- John 10:27

Why do you quote from a book that is corrupt?

If a source containing errors means that it is totally corrupt then there is
NO source that is not corrupt. So why do YOU believe AGW sources when it is
obvious that it contains errors? It's not nice to be a hypocrite.

If YOU heard his voice, you would follow him too.

Indeed I would ... if I was a sheep, that is...

You heard the voice of corrupt AGW advocates and you follow them like a sheep.

All of today's churches are corrupt, you say, because they don't follow
the Bible.

I didn't say that. I said ALMOST all do not teach the full truth.

If so, which churches teach the full truth? Please list them.

If I told you would you join one?

"It is not time yet for you to know what I see. When that time comes,
then you will know." – Akiane Kramarik

---------
Babies cry to draw their very first breath of air.

My first child cried her eyes out for WEEKS.

None of my children did that. Most other children don't either. So your
poor child must have had a disease of some kind, or some other unusual
reason to suffer.

You were fortunate.

--------
Well, most people do not directly remember their birth. My very first
memories is from when I was 3-4 years old.

I remember events leading up to getting my tonsils removed and coming home
afterwards. I was probably late two or early three.

I seem to remember riding on a tractor with my grandfather at a much earlier
age.

True faith is belief in things that are true.

A circular argument. Who wouldn't believe in something they knew was
true?

But you avoid the real problem: how do you know what is true and what is
not true? You must know that in order to decide what to believe in. So
how do you find that out? Yep, that's right, by critical thinking and
examining evidence.

Faith is belief without critical thinking.

Nope.

"Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into
all truth" -- John 16:13

I agree. The focus should be to avoid the heat wave in some 50-100 years
and not to avoid an ice age 100 times farther into the future.

This may be unavoidable;

It's actually up to us and our actions.

You have hit upon a very valid point:

"For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the
proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day
that cometh shall burn them up, saith the LORD of hosts, that it shall
leave them neither root nor branch." -- Malachi 4:1

But even if some heat wave is unavoidable (we're in one heat wave already),
our actions can still determine how severe that heat wave is goind to be.

Right now, I'm sitting in a cold house. I'm going to turn up the thermostat.