Old November 4th 18, 12:41 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gary Harnagel

Default Neil DeGrasse Tyson headed down same loony road as Carl Sagan?

On Saturday, November 3, 2018 at 9:21:57 PM UTC-6, palsing wrote:

On Saturday, November 3, 2018 at 8:39:49 AM UTC-7, Gary Harnagel wrote:

There IS evidence that the earth is not flat, and
there IS evidence that there is a spirit which leaves the body at death.

Even assuming that your contention that the body loses weight coincidental
with dying is true,

That's what the evidence says, the only evidence that we have.

that is far from evidence that that the loss of weight represents a spirit
leaving the body. That is to say, there is ZERO evidence that the weight
loss is due to a spirit or soul fleeing, regardless of how much you want
that to be the case.

There is ZERO evidence that it's not, regardless of how much you want that
to be the case.

"Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the
roof and gets stuck."
- George Carlin

It won't get stuck if Paul Schlyter's claim that it's a fart is correct :-)

Moses caused the Red Sea to part. Do you think he did this on his own?
He didn't. Faith is a principle of power, and that power comes from God.
And God doesn't do anything to satisfy someone's whim.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.f952fe55e2ab

"If you grant Drews two very large assumptions -- 1) that he has the geography
right, and 2) that such a strong wind event happened to occur right when the
Israelites, as described in the Bible, were there to take advantage of it --
then it turns out that Moses just might be able to make it (miraculously or
not, of course, depending on your point of view)."

If you take the position that God simply works by the laws of nature (some
of which we understand, some we partially understand and some we don't
understand at all), then the miracle is that it happened just when Moses needed it.