Old September 1st 18, 01:11 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Default All New For NASA

Anthony Frost wrote on Sat, 01 Sep 2018 11:59:32
+0100:

In message
"Greg \(Strider\) Moore" wrote:

"Fred J. McCall" wrote in message

This was apparently a SpaceX decision and not driven by NASA.

Huh... I had only seen comments about NASA pushing it. I'm a bit surprised
it's a SpaceX decision.

I've been wondering if it's driven by the costs of NASA oversight? We
already know NASA flights are charged about 50% more than commercial,
and one of the stated reasons for SpaceX increasing the price of future
CRS missions is them having underestimated the additional costs for NASA
work. First stage re-uses for NASA have always had both flights being
for NASA, never commercial-NASA. Maybe refurb with NASA inspectors
looking over everyones shoulder (currently) pushes the time and cost
over the point where it's worthwhile.

Anything is possible, but SpaceX *IS* going to refly these capsules.
They're just going to refly them as cargo carriers. So they're still
going to have to do NASA-style refurbishment.

--
"Millions for defense, but not one cent for tribute."
-- Charles Pinckney