Old August 7th 03, 05:43 AM
David Knisely

Default *Review: Astrosystems 30mm WIDE SCAN III Eyepiece

Hi there. You posted:

Curious if you denoted any difference with issue of blackout. It
seems to me from memory the Widescan was more prone to it than is the
new Chinese clone. This potentially having a lot to do with the
smaller, useable field stop acting as an eye guide. Did you by chance
get an indication one way or another?

The exit pupil edge is fairly sharp and pronounced so you do need to keep your
eye fairly well centered when using the eyepiece, but the it wasn't showing
some of the horrid blackout or kidney beaning I have seen with some eyepieces.
The eyepiece overall acts a bit like an Erfle, and the unit has a somewhat
conical hard plastic eyecup at the end to act as the "guide". Clear skies to
you.
--
David W. Knisely
Prairie Astronomy Club:

* July 27-Aug. 1st, 2003, Merritt Reservoir *
* http://www.NebraskaStarParty.org *