Old November 20th 07, 10:17 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
kT

Default The Delta V Heavy

Michael Gallagher wrote:

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 14:05:03 -0600, kT wrote:

That defeats the purpose of single stage to orbit (SSTO) spaceflight, in
which the core stage is delivered to orbit ....

??? On the issue of recovering and using compelx engines frome a
coastal launch, TSTO and SSTO both work. Which is preferable is
another can of worms. But on the sole count of brining engines back
for reuse, both accomplish that, which was my point.

Actually, no, the EELVs are TSTO, and they don't recover engines, yet.

When TSTO EELVs start regularly making the ISS run after the collapse of
ESAS and VSE, then soon there will be a market for on orbit upper stages
and their engines. I mean, why would you want to throw away a perfectly
good vacuum startable upper stage, after you've put it up into orbit?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again here, where I come from, we
call that insanity. You can call it whatever you want.