Old October 30th 07, 09:45 PM posted to rec.arts.tv,sci.astro.amateur
Mason Barge

Default CSI Miami throws science out the window, again

"Rich" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 30, 4:07 pm, "Mac Breck" wrote:
wrote in ...
In rec.arts.tv Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 09:17:07 -0700, Larry Bud

wrote:

A pretty good job? I mean, I like the show. Pretty graphics, cool
special effects, but science? No way.

I disagree. I rarely see serious scientific errors on CSI (Las

Vegas). I
think they do a remarkable job. They use the right techniques, and

they

Well, in one early (possibly first) season episode I saw CSI (LV) get

the
function of a GFCI totally wrong, and the murder plot depended on

that.

They also got the acceleration due to gravity confused with terminal
velocity (IIRC. Can't find my tape of the ep., and don't have S2 on DVD
yet.) in #26 "Overload".

I had a physics teacher that told us if a 1" ball bearing were dropped
off the Empire State building it would go 7 feet into the ground. He
didn't understand the concept of terminal velocity.

I used to hear the same sort of rumors about a penny dropped edge-first. In
truth, it might bend the penny, although I don't think a steel ball bearing
would be damaged.

Don't doubt, however, that a bullet fired into the air, especially at an
angle, can kill someone. Hmm, possibly even the ball bearing could do it;
it'd sure smart like hell. I'm guessing 200 fps plus. And what, 120 grams?
(Anyone know the density of steel off the "top of your head"?hahhaha)