Old July 1st 09, 04:31 AM posted to sci.military.naval,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Default Fate of Italian Polaris Missiles

Derek Lyons wrote:
Few people who haven't been to sea comprehend how big the ocean is.
Remember the bit in HFRO where Jonesy calculates the Atlantic ocean is
thirty times wider than his sonar footprint?

I always liked the pre-radar assesment from WWI were someone went up to
a giant map of the world's oceans at the British Admiralty, and stuck a
thumbtack into it...stating: "That's how far any one of our ships can
see in daylight and clear weather."
If things keep up as bad as they are near Somalia, it might be a very
good place to put a comprehensive SOSUS array at.
Provided they don't all start using dhows, that should catch most of them.
If they do start using dhows, then it's time to develop chain shot for
our modern naval guns so we can de-mast them. :-D
Since the thread has now drifted into modern-day pirates, these things
are really strange and interesting:
http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/...ilent-run.html
Now _where_ would they have gotten a bridge design concept like that
from?: http://xirdal.lmu.de/xirdalium/xpix/...s_gonzales.png
I think it's about time the DEA pays a little visit to Vulcania. ;-)

Pat