Old November 7th 08, 08:56 AM posted to rec.models.scale,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Default RFI: Parasail kit for the Revell Gemini?

OM wrote:
...Has anyone ever seen a decent resin or other media conversion kit
for the Revell Gemini that allows it to be converted into the aborted
parasail landing mode? IIRC, the very early releases of the kit -
first thru third pressings - included the landing skis, but not the
parasail. One of my OMBloggers asked about this in e-mail, and it hit
me that I've never seen that sort of conversion kit available. One
could probably build one easily out of brass tubing and silk in a
scratchbuild, but I'm still surprised I havn't seen a kit before now.

IIRC, the Revell 1/48 scale Mercury/Gemini version came with a coupon in
the earliest release versions that let you order a vacuformed parasail
for it... in fact, I have a way-back memory of when my older brother got
the kit right after it was released, and the vacuformed parasail was
included in the stock kit.
It would certainly be easy to do for the 1/48 scale version as a
vacuform, and would be really striking in the 1/24th scale version with
a added landing gear and body correction kit.
Sounds right up Realspace Models' alley.
Would make a great diorama with the Gemini's rear skids hitting the
ground in a cloud of dust as it touches down on the Edward's lakebed.

Pat