Old February 14th 05, 02:40 PM
Fred J. McCall

John Doe wrote:

:"Fred J. McCall" wrote:
: That was not my understanding of what the space medicine studies
: indicated. Women under zero-g lose calcium more quickly than men do,
: as I recall it. Calcium loss is pretty much THE big problem we're
: aware of with prolonged exposure to zero-g.
:
:For a trip the duration of the Mars expedition, does it make a
:difference ?

I suspect the best answer anyone has right now is 'maybe'.

:Woudldn't they need to find way to deal with calcium loss
:even for men ?

Yes.

:And if they do find a way to stabilize calcium level on
:men, wouldn't that also work for women with just different dosage of
:whatever they do ?

That doesn't necessarily follow. Women are not men, a fact for which
I am perpetually grateful.

:And what about age ? Would younger crews have lesser problems with
:calcium and in fact less problems with exercising sufficiently to
:maintain good shape ?

I doubt anyone has a definitive answer here, either, so once again the
answer is 'maybe'.

--
"Millions for defense, but not one cent for tribute."
-- Charles Pinckney