Old December 17th 03, 02:39 PM
Martin Lewicki

DaveC wrote in
al.net:

How does LST correlate to our terrestrial time? I'm not looking for a
definition, or an explanation that includes angles of the equinox, or
such. I just want to know if a particular time in LST is fixed in
relation to the clock on the wall, or if it changes over the year, and
how to calculate it or look it up.

Thanks,

Here are the principles.

Sidereal time is determined by the rotation of the earth with refernce to
the equinox. It takes 23h56m to make a 360 degree rotation.

Clock time based on a mean solar time and is the rotation of the earth with
refernce to a mean Sun. It is 24h00m and a 361 degree rotation.

Why 361 degrees?

Sun advances nearly 1 degree in the ecliptic every sidereal day.
Therefore the earth must rotate a further 1 degree or 4 minutes to catch up
to complete a solar day.

The sidereal clock thus gains 4 minutes accumulatively on a solar clock
every day.

The two clocks are by convention synchronized at 00h00m at the September
equinox. Thereafter they diverge by 4 minutes per day until they are 12
hours apart 6 months later at the March equinox. They contiune until they
once more synchronize at the following September equinox.

Martin Lewicki