Old September 18th 18, 06:14 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

Default SpaceX moon flight

"Jeff Findley" wrote in message

says...

On Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 7:26:15 AM UTC+2, William Elliot wrote:

BFR? Bare Foot Rocket?

Without visiting the SpaceX website, and drawing on my more juvenile
side, I rather suspect the acronym is more in line with the BFG from
the original Doom computer game. And no it wasn't a Big Friendly
Giant, or a Big Friendly Gun.

This is absolutely the case. They've changed it to Big Falcon Rocket
and Big Falcon Spaceship, for obvious reasons.

It's been shrinking a bit though. As announced last night, starting out
with identical engines in BFR and BFS hurts performance of BFS a bit.
But, it's a reasonable simplification to allow BFS to test fly without
BFR. And it will provide a minimum path to a viable vehicle. Musk did
say that later some of the BFS engines could be swapped to a vacuum
version for more performance.

Sounds a lot like they're aiming for a BFR/BFS 1.0 that's as simple as
possible to get it flying as soon as possible.

Ayup, another example of him going with the "make it work, and then make it
better".

Still, Musk says it might cost anywhere between $2 and $10 billion to
develop (he initially said $5 billion when asked how much it would cost
to develop). Sounds about right.

Jeff

IT Disaster Response -
https://www.amazon.com/Disaster-Resp...dp/1484221834/