Old December 8th 17, 05:30 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mikko

Default The Equation of Time(keeping)

In article ,
Gerald Kelleher wrote:

For those who want to understand history it is important to know that a clock
is a device with one job - to maintain a constant or average pace.

You then ask what is the constant pace and how is it derived using the Sun
crossing the meridian each day/night cycle while knowing that each cycle is
different.

No, I don't. Instead I ask whether and how well the clock will do what
it is made to do. In order to understand history, the point is that until
recently clocks were not very accurate (nor common). Astronomers
who wanted to study the equation of the time could only compare the
(apparent) motions of Sun and fixed stars. Even that was not easy as
Sun and stars are not visible at the same time.

Mikko