Old July 10th 07, 06:00 PM posted to sci.geo.geology,sci.space.history,sci.astro,sci.space.policy
John[_3_]

Default ...Phoenix Launch...The Search for Life on Mars begins in 24 days !!!

On Jul 10, 9:18 am, surfduke wrote:
It would make Me feel better if We had images of the crash site. It
has been search for but never imaged. Pictures might help in the
investigation of the cause of the failure. The fault tree
investigation showed it to be the early engine shut down. I would hope
that that does not happen again. This will be the first attempt at
life science since the failed Beagle mission. That too was a shame to
have lost.

Carl

AW&ST had a good article within the past couple of weeks about
Phoenix. Regarding the old chassis, one of the project people
discussed how the Better Quicker Cheaper mantra led to the skipping of
testing. That testing has been on Phoenix, and not surprisingly, they
found stuff that could have resulted in the vehicle having a bad day,
that they subsequently fixed. The article also discussed that they
have retargeted the vehicle once already due to imagery that said the
landing area first selected was too rough.

Find the article . . . there is an awesome picture of water being run
under high pressure being run through the landing rocket system to
find leaks. I was surprised that water was used . . . and amazed at
the efflux from the 12 engine nozzles.

Take care . . .

John