Old January 5th 04, 03:11 PM
Michael A. Covington

Default Digital vs. Film in Astrophotography

"Jack Schmidling" wrote in message
om...
"Michael A. Covington"

Actually my own two best Mars shots are one of each -- one with a
traditional CCD (using a "repeat and pick the best" mode on my STV) and

one
with ToUCam Pro. Since the ToUCam Pro costs only 1/10 as much, and

gives a
color image, and produced a good image with much less work, I consider

it
the winner.....

By definition, there can only be one "best" so you need to make a
choice. However, it still does not prove the point that it wins in
any scientific sense.

Until or unless someone produces a web cam picture as good or better
than the best out there,the CCD wins.

I doubt that the same kind of chip will produce substantially different
pictures at the same temperature with different hardware around it!

The one significant variable is the color mask. I would *expect* monochrome
chips with tricolor masks to have an edge over color chips.

Apart from that, this is almost like asking (in the old days) whether a
Canon or a Nikon would take better astrophotos.