Old January 2nd 04, 03:54 AM
Chris L Peterson

Default Digital vs. Film in Astrophotography

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 15:49:03 -0800, "Del Johnson" delastro@{right star in
Orion's belt}.sdsu.edu wrote:

I think that is what I have been saying......

Well, then I guess we are in agreement (but while I think the image posted by
Jose is better than the one you suggested, I think this-
http://www.starrywonders.com/m42new.html - taken with a 10D- is better yet. And
that isn't even a proper astrocamera!

Anyway, I still think the non-linear response of film is a disadvantage. I don't
know why I would want to use film, throwing away intensity detail at one end or
the other according to the whim of the emulsion designer, when for less effort I
can collect linear data and apply a compression curve of _my_ design to it to
bring out the detail of _my_ choice.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com