Old January 1st 04, 06:25 AM
William D. Tallman

Default Digital vs. Film in Astrophotography

Robert Berta wrote:

snip
And yes...I prefer CCD for astronomy....although I still use film for
wide field imaging. Big chip cameras suitable for covering a wide FOV
and maintaining a favorable sampling ratio are still too
expensive...but they are getting cheaper. However I see the consumer
type big chip digital cameras like the Canons replacing the dedicated
CCD astronomy specific cameras for the average person in a short time.

snip

Interesting thread to read through! Learned a lot!

Question: Now that Canon is using CMOS for it's digital battlewagons, given
your comment, it's worth asking what sort of performance CMOS arrays have,
as compared to both film and CCD.

Thanks,

Bill Tallman