Old December 5th 17, 04:16 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Martin Brown[_3_]

Default Messier 76 - "Spirit of 76" - Red - White - and Blue

On 05/12/2017 05:00, RichA wrote:
On Saturday, 18 November 2017 12:27:59 UTC-5, Razzmatazz wrote:
Just before winter sets in the outer arms of the Milky Way pass overhead. Embedded in them are regions of star formation and star death. M76 is a Planetary Nebula where the central star has shed its outer atmosphere shedding its hydrogen (the bright red areas) and oxygen (blue areas) into a shell, which is expanding into the surrounding space.

https://www.astromart.com/common/ima...7.jpg&caption=

Which colour for double-ionized oxygen is real? Most shots I've seen, it's been green, but it's blue here.

OIII to my eyes is just on the dark green side of cyan if bright enough.
With a bit of cunning you can create a plausible looking pseudo colour
image from just OIII 501nm and Ha 656nm narrowband by treating stars and
nebulosity differently in the post processing.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown