Old February 17th 17, 11:32 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

Default June 30th is Asteroid Day!

On Thursday, 16 February 2017 14:03:07 UTC-5, Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 09:39:17 -0800 (PST), Quadibloc
wrote:

On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 7:09:34 AM UTC-7, Chris L Peterson wrote:

(Seriously though, it is not entirely outside our power to take action
to prevent such a strike, so there may well be value in expanding
awareness of the possibility.)

I admit that, but because the prospect of an asteroid impact is so remote, and the
general public has other priorities... it seems to me that an "Asteroid Day" to
raise general awareness is not a direction likely to yield much in the way of
useful results.

True. All the same there are more than 100 UN international days, and
hundreds more established by different countries. Most are just
symbolic commemorations of something or another. Symbols are not
without power, even if that power is very small.

Most are pointless or driven by narrow interests. Maybe the UN, in honour of itself as the World's political parasite should have "World Government Day?"