Old May 11th 08, 06:17 PM posted to sci.space.history
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

Default Air resistance

In article
,
wrote:

I've been writing a computer simulation for a small satellite
launcher, and have discovered a mistake in my code!

The mistake isn't quite relevant to the question I want to ask, but
related.

I've been modelling aerodynamic drag in the lower part of the
atmosphere as constant * airdensity * velocity * velocity.

I realise that the constant will vary according to the design (area,
shape), but I was wondering whether anyone could point me to, or give
me some idea of, the size of the drag forces on something like Scout
or Titan II.

Many thanks,

Nicholas Hill

Drag coefficient is a function of Mach number and angle-of-attack, so
you would have to have that information in order to obtain anywhere
meaningful results.

Use one of the standard atmosphere models to get the density and
temperature profiles, since speed of sound is a function of temperature.