Old April 10th 08, 02:47 AM posted to sci.space.history
NTL Newsgroups

Default Laser writing on the moon

Im sure there is not a single laser that could undertake this task, but how
about hundreds or even thousands of lasers, all working in sync might work.

Dan.

"BradGuth" wrote in message
On Apr 1, 10:15 pm, Damon Hill wrote:
Mike Ross wrote
m:

I thought I saw recently somewhere a plan to use a laser to put ads on
the moon. Is that really possible? Seems like the power levels
required would be prohibitive, or at least dangerous to anything
passing through the beam.

Should some group decide to such a thing, I wonder how hard it would
be to find the source of the laser?

Given the low albedo, the size of the area that'd need to be illuminated
and distance of the target...yeah. Serious power. Got to keep the
beam from spreading too much and the earth's atmosphere might tend to
scatter the beam a bit, too.

Even so, surely someone's tried this...?

--Damon

What's your dumbfounded problem?
There's not a beam spreading or all that much energy demand if
transmitted from the moon's L1.
. - Brad Guth