Old October 4th 03, 09:20 PM
Sander Vesik

Default Our future as a species - Fermi Paradox revisted - Where they all are

ORDOVER wrote:
Humanity has always progressed by expanding its range using technology

Not really - it has occassionally, but the vast majority of the human
colonization of the earth was done by people who set up housekeeping just down
the road from where they came from - then generation after generation did just
the same thing.

This is hardly true as both simple math and archelogy will tell you.

The vast majority of the human inhabited surface of the earth was settled in
paleo- and neo-lithic times by people who just walked there. It's
comparatively recently that ships of any kind were employed.

My answer to the Fermi paradox is quite simple - space travel is economically
unsustainable - it always costs more in resources than it brings in. So no
species anywhere in the galaxy can afford it over the long haul.

yes, we already know your answer...

John Ordover

--
Sander