Old February 23rd 05, 07:19 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message .com,
writes
A location along longitude does NOT rotate to face the Sun every 24
hours.

Our ancestors ASSUMED constant axial rotation and corrected it by the
Equation of Time hence there is no external reference for axial
rotation through 360 degrees ,neither against the Sun nor the stars.

It may eventually dawn on somebody that the Equation of Time format
based on axial rotation/terrestial longitudes precedes the
calendrically based sidereal system or rather the sidereal format is
based on the 24 hour/360 degrees equivalency.

Big topic,small people ( at least so far).

Small topic, but apparently too big for someone who apparently never
sees daylight, let alone the stars.
Constant axial rotation is a _fact_, and can be proven without recourse
to external observation.
The equation of time has nothing to do with constant axial rotation, but
the _fact_ that the Earth's axis is inclined to the plane of its orbit
and that orbit is an ellipse. So the _solar_ day, but not the sidereal
day, varies throughout the year.
How on Earth can the sidereal system be "calendrically based"? My Local
Sidereal Time is about 05:31 (thanks to
http://www.jgiesen.de/astro/astroJS/siderealClock/ for that), but
that's only useful for setting up a telescope. And as for a 24 hour/360
degree equivalency...
--
Support the DEC Tsunami Appeal
http://www.dec.org.uk/.