Old January 10th 04, 04:42 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Nova (PBS) Tuesday - EXCELLENT Program

"Robert J. Kolker" wrote in message

Franz Heymann wrote:

Have you realised that if you were to switch off your space research, a
large industry would grind to a halt, thus driving your country even

further
into bankruptcy than it already is?

That is interesting. You think that spending money we don't have will
save us from bankruptcy. That is curious to say the least.

There is nothing curious about governments attempting to maintain industrial
activity in some field or other, in order to try to maintain its viability,
or the expertise present in that activity.

You presume two facts not in evidence; one: that our space program
benefits the economy and two: there are no better uses for the money so
taken.

I said that there are large industrial activities which are kept alive by
the space programme.

If the money spent had something to do with our defense or maintaining
order and justice in the land, I could abide the expenditure. But
sending golf carts to Mars does not fit that description.

It does.
The expertise developed in the process of sending golf carts careering
around on Mars could be very useful in other fields, like defence.

If we want space exploration, I propose we all join the L5 Society and
fund it in a voluntary fashion.

Franz