Old December 18th 11, 08:06 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

Default asteroid close approach, 2011 Nov 08

On Dec 18, 9:41*am, oriel36 wrote:

I am here in this gorgeous part of the world,noticed this morning the
difference in daylight/darkness asymmetry in SoCal with the Northern
isles of Europe and the more abrupt appearance of daylight from
darkness here *as I am traveling with a greater speed at these
latitudes nearer the Equator

The more abrupt appearance (and disappearance) of daylight is mostly
due to the fact that the sun is more perpendicular to the horizon from
here than it is from the Northern isles of Europe, and the length of
time from darkness to the sunrise (or sunset) is strictly a function
of the sun's distance below that horizon. The Sun moving at a lower
angle (in the north) means that it will take longer to get far enough
below the horizon to achieve darkness than it does here in SoCal. You
are giving the greater speed at latitude too much value; after all, it
is much more correct to reference the Earth's rotation to its angular
velocity, which is the same at all latitudes, rather than the varying
speeds at different latitudes, that is just the hard way to do things.

\Paul A

\Paul A