Old November 25th 10, 12:28 PM posted to sci.astro.research
Jonathan Thornburg [remove -animal to reply][_3_]

Default Stellar Magnetic Fields

Thomas Smid wrote:
Where did you get these R/B figures from? If you look for instance at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_dwarf , then you can find there
that the magnetic field of white dwarfs can differ by many orders of
magnitude. So it seems you have been rather selective here in order to
establish the 1/R^2 relationship.

Moreover, for the one case for which we have excellent data (the Sun),
the magnetic field on a stellar surface is highly variable in both
space and time, in ways which don't accord well with the magnetic
field of a Kerr-Newman black hole. Magnetic fields of other stars
are also known to vary a lot over space and time, although our data
for other stars doesn't have the spatial resolution that we have for
the Sun.

--
-- "Jonathan Thornburg [remove -animal to reply]"
Dept of Astronomy, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, USA