Old November 19th 10, 09:04 AM posted to sci.astro.research
Robert L. Oldershaw

Default Stellar Magnetic Fields

I have noticed something that I think is quite interesting concerning
the Global Surface Dipole B Fields of stars that have measurable B
fields.

White Dwarf: R ~ 10^9 cm; B ~10^6 G

Red Dwarf: R ~ 10^10 cm; B ~ 10^4 G

F-G-K "Dwarfs": R ~ 10^11 cm; B ~ 10^2 G

Red Giants: R ~/ 10^12 cm; B ~/ 1 G

The pattern is like a 1/R^2 progression.

IF there were Kerr-Newman objects at the center of stars, with R ~
10^5.5 cm and B ~ 10^13 G, then the surface dipole B fields for the
stars would just be the 1/R^2 values of the central field.

It has not escaped my attention that neutron star-like objects would
make rather efficient nucleating objects for the formation of stars.

This is an unorthodox and speculative idea, but consider that star
formation and the explanation of stellar surface B fields are two
major unresolved problems in astrophysics.

When a star goes supernova, what's left behind? Right an ultracompact
object with an radius not far from 10^5.5 cm and an average B of about
10^13 G.

Worth considering objectively, I think.

RLO
www.amherst.edu/~rloldershaw