Old August 8th 05, 05:35 PM
Chris L Peterson

On 8 Aug 2005 07:33:32 -0700, "shneor" wrote:

Right! I don't think it's "borderline naked eye at all". It's clearly
visible on an average - or even below average -night at IHOP (IceHouse
Observation Plateau) in the Sierra foothills. It's visible in the
"yellow" (CSC light pollution map) on an average night.

I call it borderline because some people can see it, and some can't.
Also, to see it naked eye requires reasonably dark conditions. I would
use "borderline" for objects like M31 and other DSOs that are close
enough to visual thresholds that in a given group, some people will
simply not see them, even if they have reasonably normal vision.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com