Old July 13th 09, 12:26 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)[_16_]

Default No go due to weather. SCRUBBED.

"John Doe" wrote in message
Both RTLS and launch weather are no-gos at the 9 minute polling.

No expection of improvement, will lose the launch window. Thunderstorms
to the west of the site.

Scrub not yet announced.

Question: since they saw those storms come, how much time could they
have cut from the 9 minute hold period to launch before the storms got
too close ?

Scrub now formal. Will try tomorrow.

Ayup, we were on the causeway when they made the announcement.

It was pretty clear the storm wasn't going to break up.

As for how much they could cut, my understanding was that the launch window
was approximately 10 minutes wide, with the launch set for the middle of
that.

Which basically means they could have got up to 5 minutes from the hold.

Based on my untrained eye, that would not have been nearly enough to make
the launch happen.

At the 9 minute poll they were clearly in violation of the RTLS weather
criteria and were dang close to violation of the launch weather criteria.
Even if they had been able to launch at say 7:08 instead of 7:13, I'm fairly
confident they'd have been in violation of the launch criteria in any case.

--
Greg Moore
Ask me about lily, an RPI based CMC.