Old May 4th 05, 11:42 AM
Ray Tomes

Default Observation of ELF etc in universe?

First some background and then a question or two.

Some years ago I had a debate with Ted Bunn concerning the stated
411 photons/cm^3 in the universe. I maintained that the no. of
photons at low frequencies (ELF ULF etc) probably vastly exceeds
the CMBR count of 411.

Ted was totally dismissive until he saw the graphic at
http://ray.tomes.biz/ref-back.gif
from "Cosmology" by Michael Rown-Robinson page 100 after
which he agreed that it was possible but said that he still
thought that I was wrong.

The graph shows that below about 10^9 Hz the intensity of the
universal background again begins to rise through to 10^6 Hz
where the graph finishes.

My questions:

Has any observation been made below 10^6 Hz of the general
background spectrum?

[[Mod. note -- I think very little radio astronomy of any kind has been
done at such low frequencies. Indeed, I'm not even sure if the Earth's
ionosphere is even transparent at 1 MHz frequencies; if not, the
observations would have to be done from space. Try searching on the
ADS or scholar.google.com for 'low frequency radio astronomy'. -- jt]]

I saw a TV interview with an Australian radio astronomer who
said that he was studing low frequency and that the sky was
as bright as the Sun all over. Unfortunately I didn't get his
name and the frequency range wasn't mentioned.

What do other people think when they look at this graph?
It rises by 16 orders of magnitude as the frequency reduces
by 18 orders of magnitude. It looks like a general trend to me
with a few bumps on - CMBR, effect of dust etc. - although
admittedly the CMBR is a big bump.

Do others see the possibility that from 10^6 Hz through to
10^-17 Hz it could rise at the same average rate and reach
10^20 times as many photons as in the CMBR. Of course the
much lower energy per photon would mean that the total energy
is not increasing by that much, but it could still be a
significant contribution to dark matter.

--
Ray Tomes
http://ray.tomes.biz/