Old August 31st 18, 11:28 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Leak on ISS

In article ,
says...

On 2018-08-30 22:08, Greg (Strider) Moore wrote:
https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2018...airs-continue/

Apparently there's a 2mm leak on-board ISS that's been tracked down to
Soyuz.

Earlier today, the CBC reported that it was in the module to which the
SOyuz was docked (aka: part of ISS). That one crewmember "sealed" it by
putting finger on it to test it temporarily.

a 2mm hole should be quite easy to patch.

It's already permanently patched. The Russians fixed it in a timely
manner.

Since it now seems to be on the Soyuz orbital module, no permanment
damage to ISS. (and I guess Soyuz don't have much in terms of micro
meteorite protection?)

I would assume that the next return to Earth will be planned to minmise
time between undocking and de=orbit burn and separation of
orbital-module so crews would have to spend less time in it.

I would not assume this. The hole is patched. The Soyuz will almost
surely follow the normal reentry procedures. It's the Russians.
They're not going to be overly cautious here.

Lets assume the hole had been on the descent module, and that during
re-entry, the heat would have jeoperdized the patch. (In reality, i
assume outside insulation would shield the hole in pressure vessel from
extreme re-entry heat, right?)

This is why the Russians have worn pressure suits during launch and
landing ever since they lost a Soyuz crew that wasn't wearing any (they
had a depressurization failure before reentry and all died).

Is it safe to assume that crew could close helmets and live off piped
pressurized air in the Sokhol suits during the full descent until at
ground altitude and capsule re-pressurized?

Yes, that's why they wear the damn suits.

But this got me thinking... NASA and the Russians have always

treated the
Soyuz as lifeboats. But I've never seen any talk of plans for if the Soyuz
Descent module was highly damaged

Highly damaged might require a hatch be closed and allowing it to go to
vacuum in order to preserve ISS atmosphere.

can do do an inside EVA to ingress the Soyuz using EVA suits or woudl
the only solution be using a Sokhol suit with some portable breating
pack that provides O2 for a while?

I could see them either trying to fix it, or going in to manually
release the docking then exit Soyuz and push it away. (one would assume
that if the cabin is left in vacuum for too long, the electronics would
be fried and non-operational, right?)

or could they undock it manually in a real EVA from outdoors ?

Do note that the Russians have performed internal EVAs on Mir through
similar sized hatches. If you want to learn about that, Google it.

Besides, if anyone can figure out how to do something with the Russian
modules, it's the Russians. Worst case, I'd imagine they could get rid
of the damaged Soyuz by remote control.

Jeff