Old August 15th 18, 12:22 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Launch of NASA's Parker Solar Probe

In article ,
lid says...

On 2018-08-12 22:32, Greg (Strider) Moore wrote:

https://spaceflightnow.com/2018/08/1...toric-mission/

You know, I just realized, we can actually make a joke about them launching
a solar probe at night!

A few months ago, I was told sending somethin to the sun was impossible
because woulf require way too much energy).

_Landing_ on the Sun (that is, reaching the edge of the photosphere at
rest wrt to the Sun, and not in orbit) requires some 600 km/s of delta-v.

The Parker probe will not land on the Sun; it goes into a very eccentric
elliptical orbit with the perihelion quite close to the Sun.

And it took a hulking big launcher, plus AIUI an extra final rocket
stage, to give this small probe enough delta-v for that.

Don't forget the multiple Venus flybys. Even Delta IV Heavy plus a
solid kick stage wasn't enough to get directly into the desired orbit.

Jeff