Old October 2nd 17, 09:01 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

Default Is Elon Musk ready for the straitjacket ?

On Monday, October 2, 2017 at 6:26:55 AM UTC-7, Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Mon, 2 Oct 2017 03:54:55 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

With electric cars, if it breaks down, I don't think there's a mechanic at every corner, who can fix it.

Electric cars are mechanically simpler and therefore easier to repair
(although like all electronics, these days that essentially means
board swaps). When there are enough electric cars, there will be more
mechanics who can deal with them than mechanics who know what to do
with a gasoline vehicle. In 20 years most of the cars on the road will
be electric.

Mechanically simpler, but lot of electronics and software involved to make the them thing running.
I talk to mechanics, even garage owners, said- diagnostic equipment is very expensive to buy than train employees too!
One guy said - he spend $30K for software to locate parts nation wide!
EV cars still have some way to go!