Old November 9th 08, 11:32 PM posted to rec.models.scale,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Default RFI: Parasail kit for the Revell Gemini?

Doc Smartass wrote:
I've got the 1982 "History Makers" 1/24 re-issue; I haven't opened the
parts bag yet, but from what I can see of the hull sections and parts
trees, it doesn't have any skids or doors.

We think that the kit got re-designed at some point after the parasail
landing option got ditched by NASA.

Is this pic even close to correct?

http://www.friends-partners.org/part...b/biglandg.jpg

That was a variant of Big Gemini... a Gemini enlarged to carry more crew
or cargo and launched atop a Titan III or Saturn I.
There's artwork of a standard Gemini landing under its parasail he
http://www.spaceinminiature.com/ref/...allo_side.JPEG
And the test vehicle for the system; "El Kabong":
http://www.aviation-news.co.uk/media/March-Para-05.jpg
http://web.mac.com/jimgerard/AFGAS/p...ini/TTV-2.html
It was some rough landings with El Kabong that convinced NASA not to use
the system.

Pat