Old December 13th 18, 07:41 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

Default 46P, can't see

StarDust wrote:
On Wednesday, December 12, 2018 at 1:23:14 AM UTC-8, Mike Collins wrote:

On Wednesday, December 12, 2018 at 12:17:29 AM UTC-8, Paul Schlyter wrote:
On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 23:59:16 -0800 (PST),

I meant common fractions, what we use in daily life, 1/2, 1/4, 3/8
etc...
Get it?
Carpenter don't use 167/200? 1/16" is good enough to cut a 2x4!
Try to measure 167/200" with a measuring tape from Home Depot, eh?
Some how you have difficulty understanding things?

I see. You are stuck with that outdated inefficient system of units
of feet and inches. While the rest of the world has gone metric, the
USA, Burma and Liberia prefer to stick to their outdated systems of
measurements.

No, I don't want to measure 167/200 inches with a measuring tape from
Home Depot which probably only measures inches anyway. I'd much
prefer to measure 0.835 cm with a **metric** ruler, measuring tape or
other measuring device. That's what we who live in the modern part of
the world do. On metric measuring devices the subdivisions are in
powers of 10, not powers of 2, so decimal fractions are then very
handy to use.

Welcome to the world outside the USA! Yes, it does exist! For real!!!

Also England and Australia use the old system!
They even drive in the left side of the road there too! LOL!
Now days measuring tapes has both system of units, but still the inch is
the mostly used, not metric!
Progress , I guess!
If you buy an American car and like to be a weekend mechanic, you have to
buy tons of tools, in fractions units, 1/2" wrench or 1/4" drill bit or
16 oz. hammer etc...
Crazy, but more profit in selling tools!

U.K. industry is metric. Even when the Imperial system was in use the
people you call machine operators thought in “thous” - thousands or an
inch.

That's not metric!
Machinist use thousands or ten thousands of an inch all the time?
The later one is tight, thats for me - Tool maker! Mostly surface
grinding use that close tolerances, .0002"!
My analog calipers and micrometers are made in inches.
Digital measuring tools can use both systems, just press a button and
enjoy any system of the two!
Also, CN or CNC machines are the same way!
I all ways used metric, because numerical controlled machines all ways
calibrated in metric, so they more accurate 2.5x, specially in circular interpolation!

Of course it’s not metric. That’s why I wrote Imperial. It’s all metric
now. In fact it’s SI while a lot of US science, particularly in the medical
field still uses cgs units.