Old December 13th 18, 02:25 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

Default 46P, can't see

On Wed, 12 Dec 2018 17:02:40 -0500, Davoud wrote:

Paul Schlyter:
I see. You are stuck with that outdated inefficient system of units
of feet and inches. While the rest of the world has gone metric, the
USA, Burma and Liberia prefer to stick to their outdated systems of
measurements.

Let me disabuse you of that notion. The Système international is widely
used in the USA. About the only place it is not used is in figuring the
driving distance to the supermarket. Science, industry, education, all
of the activities where the Système international is important employ
it.

Sadly, the use of SI units of mass, force, and length remains rather
uncommon in most U.S. industry. Manufacturing plans are almost always
in decimal inches. Aerospace, including much of the space program,
remains locked into non-metric units for distance, force, and mass.
And virtually all architecture and construction is still using
feet-inches-eighths. And while science texts use metric, I'm afraid
most others, including math, still use non-metric... including things
like teaspoons and quarts.