Old January 22nd 09, 02:24 PM posted to sci.space.policy
BradGuth

Default The end of Constellation?

On Jan 20, 6:00*pm, "Alan Erskine" wrote:
Mr Obama's speechhttp://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Barack_Obama%27s_Inaugural_Address

" We will restore science to its rightful place..."

"What the cynics fail to understand is that the ground has shifted beneath
them - that the stale political arguments that have consumed us for so long
no longer apply. The question we ask today is not whether our government is
too big or too small, but whether it works - whether it helps families find
jobs at a decent wage, care they can afford, a retirement that is dignified.
Where the answer is yes, we intend to move forward. Where the answer is no,
programs will end. And those of us who manage the public's dollars will be
held to account - to spend wisely, reform bad habits, and do our business in
the light of day - because only then can we restore the vital trust between
a people and their government."

Science and especially of our public funded science needs to be given
the green light. We need to exploit science via full access to all of
our public funded and otherwise intellectually invested science, with
no more of this need-to-know or exclusion of evidence as policy.

Even 50/50 (public match funded) science simply has to become publicly
accessible unless specific national security (other than embarrassment
or humility) is at risk. Only when and if the private sector has
funded more than 50% is when secrecy or proprietary license on behalf
of nondisclosure should be allowed.

There should no longer be any significant truth lag, especially of
whatever is 50% or more public funded. Let us hope and prey that BHO
as our resident wizard of Oz agrees with this.

~ Brad Guth Brad_Guth Brad.Guth BradGuth BG / “Guth Usenet”