Old March 7th 05, 12:34 AM
Scott Lowther

Charleston wrote:

"Scott Lowther" wrote:

Charleston wrote:

The data would not fit here well and any subsequent posts would make it
become difficult to read. I will post the raw "as received" STS 51-L SRB
chamber pressure data in its entirety on my website
www.challengerdisaster.info tonight.

I will look forward to that. Since I'll be responsible for analyzing the
ballistics of the two SRB's from the forthcoming launch in May, it should
be interesting to see what you have... and how you interpret it.

Great. It is now posted. Of course I look forward to your insight as well.

At first glance, after converting the date and time into something Excel
can use and restting T0 to be ignition, the pressure dats looks pretty
normal up until 59 seconds or so, when the right-hand transducers all
show a decrease in chamber pressure compared to the left handers. Not
overly surprising given that there was a hole in the side of the
booster, and total port area was increased.

I can compare this data to recent RSRM motor firings no sweat, but
performance has changed a little since 86. But to first order the
overall pressure trace up until T+59 seconds looks about right.

Neither the spread in readigns from Xducer to Xducer not the very jagged
appearance of the data are unusual. The data rate from the Xducers is
achingly slow to this date