Old May 4th 04, 04:39 PM
Rod Mollise

Default Used Kendrick's Laser Collimator for an SCT?

(Jon Isaacs) wrote in message ...
I've read pros and cons in the past comparing the laser collimator vs. a
star test and still like the idea of a test I can use on cloudy days, or
just because it's "there"!

I read the thing. I am not a pro at SCT collimation.

However I was not impressed with the discussion. Anytime I hear the claim
that anything other than the star test can give the best collimation for any
scope, I am dubious.

Wonder what Uncle Rod had to say....

Hi Jon:

I say, "don't bother."

Yes, the SCT lasers (that is, laser collimators designed for use on
SCTs) _can_ work _to some extent_, but IMHO are hardly worth the
trouble and expense. Collimating via a star--real or artificial--just
ain't that hard, and will IMHO always be more effective.

Attempting to collimate an SCT using a laser designed for Newtonians
is almost always a recipe for _mis_ collimationg.

Peace,
Rod