Old October 1st 03, 11:50 AM
Victor

Default Limiting Magnitude in Binoculars

edz wrote:
The end
result will soon be a published article on CN addressing Limiting
Magnitude in Binoculars.

Pardon me, but "CN" has no meaning to me. Is it a journal, a website or
a magazine?

Based on my results, for commonly used binocular magnifications in mag
6.5+ skies, I approximate the maximum limiting magnitude for a 100mm
binocular at mag 12.0, for a 60mm binocular at mag 11.0 and for a 40mm
binocular about mag 10.0.

Am I correct to assume that 50mm binoculars were not included in your
study? If they were, were their performance closer to the 60mm or to
the 40mm instruments? Halfway?

Maybe I should just upgrade from a 50mm to a 60mm and save the money I
would have spent on a 100mm for something else, like a decent focusser
for my Dob! The mag 1 improvement from a 60mm to a 100mm instrument
makes one feel the extra weight and money is not worth it.

The full article that has been submitted should be available within
the next week or two.

I do look forward to your findings!