Old December 15th 04, 07:23 AM
Brad Guth

"Dr John Stockton" wrote in message

JRS: In article opsiyna7ptemtzlb@d3h1pn11, dated Mon, 13 Dec 2004
11:05:21, seen in news:sci.space.station, D Schneider
posted :
Dr John Stockton wrote:

[...] Since the acceleration, if at
all strong, need only be relatively brief, it should be perfectly
possible to work with only the solar energy from fixed arrays.

A brief (as in less than 1 day) period of acceleration would require
considerable effort to brace. The solar arrays have detectable responses
to docking and reboosts as it is. I suspect that any "chemical rocket"
type of boost of sufficient magnitude for journey would be tough on the
joints even with the solar arrays removed.

In FFU, the speed change needed would be of the order of 25000-18000 =
7000 mph = 10000 fps; spread over a day, that's only a little over a
tenth of a gee.

That may well be hard to accommodate by bolt-on reinforcement, but it
would be trivial to deal with if proper nautical-type rigging were used.
ISS would be fitted with a long bowsprit, itself braced with spreaders
and rigging, and lines would go from the end of that to points on the
solar arrays - along the centre line, and along the edges too if needed
- with further stays running aft, etc.

We're assuming the ability to launch 10000 fps * 500 tons of propulsion;
the mast and rigging would be an insignificant added burden; consult the
designers of the current holder of the America's Cup.

One would want the new engine system to be gentle in starting and
stopping.

Dr John Stockton,
Clearly there's still an ongoing GOOGLE "Server error" as they'd like to
call it, that which is clearly hindering my posting of replies even into
my own topics. I can't get myself back into the ones that I've repeated,
as to removing all those that need not remain as for showing up in
MAILGATE but not in the original GOOGLE format.

It seems that I'm being banished once again. Either that or the GOOGLE
wizards have things really messed up. For some reason I can't seem to
publicly reply to your comments via GOOGLE, such as to the appropriate
usage of rigging on behalf of shipping ISS off to visit the wizard of Oz
at ME-L1, in which case I'll just have to try this MAILGATE method out
for size.

In spite of such methods of ongoing orchestrated opposition, I'll
attempt to reply to what "Dr John Stockton" was suggesting as being a
fairly good notion of securing whatever's necessary by way of using
cables, ropes or whatever is suitable as rigging that'll take all of the
stress that could possibly be induced by continually thrusting ISS for
10+ hours, or even 100+ hours if limited to 0.01 m/s/s. Of course, the
EVAs for applying such rigging should be a real nasty TBI dosage, though
perhaps via moonshine might cut those extra rads down to a survivable
factor.

Frankly, I and apparently a few others that reside outside of the
NASA/Apollo box foresee nothing that's insurmountable about relocating
ISS into the ME-L1 nullification sweet-spot. However, it's as though our
NASA want's nothing better than seeing the likes of ISS and Hubble bite
the dust. Perhaps they're wagering good odds on the failure of the next
resupply mission, and if need be their Boeing/TRW Phantom Works ABL team
could perhaps accomplish some of their field testing that'll essentially
kill off two birds with one friendly cannon shot.

BTW; Dr John Stockton seems to offer a rather interesting URL that's
absolutely chuck full of interesting items.
http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/

Any chance you could help with the notion of terraforming our moon, and
otherwise of dealing with what's supposedly so hot and nasty about
Venus?

If need be, I'll have to start editing this one into my growing topics
page, or create yet another entirely specific report as to addressing
these and other issues, whereas that way there's darn little if anything
the mainstream status quo can manage as to foil my efforts at sharing
upon whatever I believe is worth doing, or at least openly discussing.

Regards, Brad GUTH / GASA~IEIS
http://guthvenus.tripod.com/gv-topics.htm
http://guthvenus.tripod.com/lunar-space-elevator.htm