Old October 31st 07, 05:18 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Brian Gaff

Default Spacewalks Variations

I think the current thinking is that the array can be fixed, but the longer
its left, the more danger of the damage getting worse. The rotary joint look
and see is not going to get worse if the joint is not moved, and thus can be
delayed. I'm sure much of the rest can be fitted in as and when.

I myself wonder if the obss could be employed toget access to the array
without running the snagging risk implicit in retracting to get at the
damaged section.

I find it hard visualising the array folding and deployed mechanics, but
seems to me, its got to be under some tension to be rigid enough o not
wobble about as its moved in normal use, so whatever they need to use may
need to be quite strong.

Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
"Albert Blauensteiner" wrote in message
It is not clear to me why not performing EVA-5 ahead of a EVA-4 now
dedicated to repair the solar array blanket.
The both spacewalks are preplanned with different spacewalkers and
different independent tasks. EVA-5 is well planned and important for the
upcoming timline, and the multiple changed EVA-4 could gain an addtional
day of planning.

Albert