Old July 19th 19, 05:05 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

Default SpaceX Capsule Explosion

On 7/19/2019 11:34 AM, JF Mezei wrote:

As the Dragon spashes down, are those tanks stil pressurized, or is
there a means to close Helim tank, and then burn engines till there is
no more pressure just before deploying parachutes?

I have no hard data on the Dracos or Super Dracos so it is difficult for
me to answer your questions. I can speculate on this last question. You
presume the only method to relieve the pressure is through combustion,
but there may also exist a pressure relief valve that vents off the
helium without need to run the engines. Without hard data this is just a
WAG but not a SWAG.

Dave