Old June 1st 08, 03:02 AM posted to sci.space.history
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

Default OT Forget rocket engines...and also walls and wounded animals

"OM" wrote in message
On Sat, 31 May 2008 03:31:48 -0500, Pat Flannery
wrote:

Did you ever read what happened to the original "Rover"?

...That "Volkswagen on Crack" prop? Oh yeah.

They spent a fortune on developing this amphibious radio-controlled
thing that looked like a cylindrical swimming pool with a checkered
parasol on its top*... that sank the first time they sent it out to
sea...so the new "Rover" (a weather balloon full of CO2) replaced it as
a desperation move at the last moment.

...There's been one problem with the "fate" of the original "Rover" -
there's been at least a dozen expeditions to try and find the damn
thing, and nobody's been able to find it. Footage of the Rover's
demise has finally been scrounged up, and last I hear the geeks at Six
of One managed to determine where it sank, but they still can't find
it. Which, despite the footage, still has a lot of "Prisoner" fans
believing this version of "Rover" only existed in the original
scripts.

Huh, my understanding was that at least part of the Rover was recovered and
used in some latter scene as some form of ceiling ornament.

Wonder what Curt's doing these days? There might be a new recovery
project for him here...:-)

OM
--
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [

--
Greg Moore
SQL Server DBA Consulting Remote and Onsite available!