Old April 22nd 07, 06:06 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp

Default ASTRO: Supernova 2007be in Spiral Galaxy UGC 7800

neato

"George Normandin" wrote in message
By the time I got to imaging this one my brain was frazzled from spending
about 4 hours showing over a hundred people stuff like planets, open
clusters in Auriga and galaxies in Leo. As a result I didn't notice that
this image was a little out of focus.

SN 2007be is a Type II supernova discovered on April 7th by Stefano
Moretti and Salvatore Tomasell. I measured it as magnitude 17.00 at 4:10
UT on April 21, 2007.

UGC 7800 is one of the many dim background galaxies in Virgo. It's about a
arc minute long and 15th magnitude.

The image is a 15 minute exposure with an SBIG STL-1301E camera on an OGS
20-inch F/8.1 RC Cass. Measurements from TheSky show the image size is
13x16 arc minutes, with South at the top. The scale is .78 arc seconds per
pixel.

For more info see: http://www.kopernik.org/images/archive/u7800.htm

George N