Old August 28th 18, 10:32 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

Default The three greatest tragedies in science

RichA wrote:
1. The cancellation of the Super-Conducting Supercollider to transfer
funds to the building of the ISS. Many scientists were outraged at the
time and still are. It killed American's lead in particle physics.
2. The beheading of Anton Lavoisier, one of the brightest scientists of
all time, by the left-wing mob in the French Revolution.
3. The death of scientist Henry Moseley at age 27, British scientist, in WW1.

I'm sure there are others.

I agree with you about Lavoisier and Moseley but we have CERN.

The lack of contact between Darwin and Mendel was definitely a tragedy.
Darwin lacked a good theory for the mechanism of heredity. Mendel had that.
Neo Darwinian theory could have emerged a century earlier.