Old June 1st 06, 09:39 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.philosophy.tech,sci.astro,rec.org.mensa

Default mass is light.

Faster than light, slower than light, stopping light dead in it's
tracks and apparently going backwards is essentially in other words of
what others and I'd argued as of several years ago, by which my efforts
blew all sorts of Usenet fuses, and I even crashed FAS .org and .com a
couple of times in the process. I did the same to the lords and
wizards of the MI~NSA BBC/BBCI and summarily got more naysay flack than
I'd thought possible, not to mention having ****ed off SETI/OSETI to no
end.

I was merely going for efficient interplanetary and interstellar
communications via photons, as suggesting upon a few science probes or
data packets that could be made of light upon light, instead of our
physically going there or even sending off a physical probe that'll
likely never exceed 1% the speed of light due to the terminal velocity
of the ISM, though 10%'c' might conceivably be sustained via my
Ra--LRn--Rn--ion thruster that has got a half life Isp that's worthy
of 1600 years...

Here again, I was suggesting upon our utilizing the LSE-CM/ISS as
offering a perfectly viable science platform, if not having arrays of
robotic laser cannons actually deployed upon our moon. Of course, all
that did was start WW-III.

So yes, light and the entire spectrum gauntlet of such photons (the
vast majority of which we can't see, and some of which we can't even
detect) that as a whole seem a whole lot more important than atoms is
indeed extra special in my book. Just don't expect any constructive
Usenet topic support, other than from the likes of myself and damn few
others that would dare to share their 2 cents worth.
-
Brad Guth

tomcat wrote:
tomcat wrote:
tomcat wrote:
Brad Guth wrote:
tomcat,
More importantly, it's interesting to note that we're seeing no actual
hard numbers coming from these wizards that usually claim to know all
there is to know.

I believe there's at least 1e100 photons per atom, and we're talking
about all the way from those extremely low frequency gravity photons of
infinite light years to those sub gamma photons of the sub-picometer
status, thus we have lots to pick from.
-
Brad Guth

Light is certainly one of the strangest of objects. In the Double Slit
Experiment it acts like a wave until you look for the particles. Then
it becomes particles, instead. Albert Einstein used the speed of light
as the upper bound for all possible speeds in the Universe.

In the broad sense light includes visible light and invisible light,
such as X-Rays and Gamma Rays, besides. This is why solar cells
produce as well on cloudy days as they do on bright sunny days. Solar
cells react to the UV and shorter wavelengths and they can punch
through clouds.

In fact, this is how you entangle photons. One method is to take a UV
photon and turn it into two Infra-Red photons which equal the original
energy of the UV photon.

Recently light was speeded up in a doped optic fiber. Since the light
exceeded the speed of light in a vacuum it transversed the optic fiber
backward, instead of entering where it entered. In other words you
pour the light in end A and it immediately comes at you from end B.
Reference: University of Rochester in New York. This is creating
speculation that exceeding the speed of light can take you backwards in
time.

So, light is a little weird. Perhaps that is why there is some action
on this "mass is light" topic. It is time to air some of the weirdness
of simple photonic . . . light.

tomcat

P.S. Reference on the University of Rochester experiment.

See:
http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/light...rds-10590.html

tomcat

P.P.S. Reference on the University of Rochester 'Light' experiment.

See: http://www.rochester.edu/news/show.php?id=2544

tomcat