Old August 4th 15, 02:27 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

Default Amazingly brutal optical test site. No SCT left alive!

On Monday, August 3, 2015 at 5:48:11 AM UTC-4, Chris.B wrote:
On Friday, 31 July 2015 10:29:33 UTC+2, wsne... wrote:

Buy and use a somewhat larger telescope with good, even if not truly excellent, optics.

The optics in my first telescopes were acceptable. However even as a beginner I realized that I needed a bigger telescope, not a better telescope.

chrisbcritter's irrelevant comments and misleading half-truths deleted

Many observers enjoy fine views in their smaller instruments while the larger
instruments more often languish in poor seeing.

Incorrect. The larger instruments generally provide superior views, regardless of seeing.

"Diffraction limited" is a
minimum optical quality. For the finest lunar and planetary detail premium
optics are still necessary.

Incorrect. A diffraction limited scope will easily beat a so-called "premium optics" scope of somewhat smaller aperture.

A fine lens or mirror will hold a higher
magnification before the image breaks down *provided the seeing allows it.*

That is a nonsensical statement.

Telescope reviewers and new owners of premium optics regularly attest to this fact.

You did not state a fact.

This does not alter the optic's aperture-related resolution but
sometimes seems like it.

Then obviously those reviewers and "new owners" are fooling themselves.