Old September 16th 03, 05:16 PM
Cousin Ricky

Default President Bush / Astro - Relevant

(Matt) wrote in message . com...
You think that those of us who believe that we were created by a
super-intelligent being are silly and dilluted, but YOU beleive you
evolved from a ROCK!

Last time i checked, evolution stated that he evolved from similar
life forms. But when i checked the Bible, it said:

"then the LORD God formed man of dust from the ground, and
breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became
a living being."
--Genesis 2: 7, RSV

Now which theory is saying that Linwood evolved from a ROCK?

Furthermore, dismissing another theory of
anything without any proof or hard evidence to support that dismissal
is in and of itself UNSCIENTIFIC.

Come again? There is plenty of evidence that the world was not
created in the manner described by Genesis. If you respond with the
assertion that God made the universe "in progress"--an assertion which
is impossible to dismiss--it begs the questions: 1) Creating the
world so that we couldn't tell the difference is, by definition,
untestable; how can we even talk about whether dismissing it is
scientific? 2) If we can't tell the difference, then *does* it make
any difference? ...unless God is testing our faith in an ungodly
sadistic way...?

For a young Earth creationist to lecture anyone about being
unscientific strikes me as ludicrous.

The fact is that evolution and the
Big Bang Theory have had major problems from day one, and both
theories have been twisted so much, they remind me of the Christmas
Tree in Charlie Brown's Christmas. They tried hanging all sorts of
crap on it, but it was still and freakin' ugly tree.

That's only because science doesn't start out with the answers.
Science is a discipline of discovery, not of dogma. If you want
contortions, try the so-called "evidence" that the Scientific
Creationists have conjured up to try to fit their pre-ordained
answers.

And perhaps my memory is faulty, but i seem to remember in the TV show
that after they finished hanging all the crap on the tree, it was far
from ugly.

P.S. With the recent enthusiastic participation in the "God or the
Big Bang" thread (and other off-topic stuff, such as Mac vs. Windows
vs. Linux), it seems a bit incongruous to me to come down so hard on
Linwood, who is at least making a case that he is on-topic. The
president's attitude towards science vs. religion, and its effect on
education and public policy, are certainly more relevant to astronomy
than his astronomy grade in college.

Clear skies!

--
~ U.S. Virgin Islands ~ USDA zone 11 ~ 18.3N, 64.9W ~