Old April 30th 16, 07:23 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

Default Telling the truth about the term 'planet'

I do not know how much of a role the virtual reality equipment will play in teaching astronomical principles but the prospects look very bright once the celestial sphere software is sidelined and programmers start to take a look at orbital motions and the perspectives they generate. Something like watching our approach to Jupiter and Saturn as we swing by them in our faster motion in an inner circuit is ideal for this VR equipment as a tool to look out at the real planets and how they move around the Sun.

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/0112/JuSa2000_tezel.gif

If magnification guys want to remain with experimental theorists living out the good old days chanting meaningless voodoo then so be it but their natural home is putting perspectives to their observations and the new tools are ideal for this purpose.