Old January 13th 15, 07:01 AM posted to sci.space.station
snidely

Default Falcon 9 Landing failure

JF Mezei explained on 1/12/2015 :

Are parachutes involved to slow down and give the tube vertical
orientation ? Or is it all done with fuel/aerodynamics ?

Vertical orientation can be done with the paddle fins and steerable
motors.

"ran out of hydraulic fluids". Wouldn't hydraulics normally be in a
closed loop system where there is no loss ?

Just like the shuttle needed APUs to run the hydraulics, I'd imagine an
energy source was needed to provide the pressure that acutally moves
things. Lacking more detailed information, I'd guess that the energy
source ran out of juice. No Catepillar diesel engine aboard,
apparently.

/dps

--
But happiness cannot be pursued; it must ensue. One must have a reason
to 'be happy.'"